7 Years Prior..

POETRY

Vultures

By Sheena Benson, Featured Poet

Wednesday, September 21, 2005



If misery loves company
Then why be alone?

If good comes to those who wait
Then why does is take so long?

I’m treating folks how I want to be treated
But in return, I feel like all my efforts are defeated

I’m out here all by myself
With God, I’m trying to do right

I’m trying to keep my head above water
And trying to spread some light

Instead, I’m smacked in the face with reality
And that is fact that nothing is how it seems to be

For so long, I’ve painted my own portrait of life
From the examples of others, I created my own colors

But how I pictured things were never like that from the start
Reality says I’ve got folks out here ready to feast on the aches of my heart

On the corners, they’re posted
On my future, they’re focused

When will she screw up?
How many babies will she drop?

How far will she get in college?
When will she give up, when will she stop?

At my goals, they grin
At my plans, the mock

Everyday I stare into the eyes of vultures

They are you, they are them
They are me; my culture

...

One of the pieces published in my old College Newspaper. A youngin' I was--yet I understood so much, so early.. And oh, how things haven't changed. Vultures..

http://goldtorchnews.com/articles/092105vultures.html

Comments

Popular Posts